Fin-a-lly, got around to making two recipes that have been torn out of a magazine papers for months. In scanning through the ingredient lists I notice that I had most of what was needed and what I didn’t have, what the heck, we’ll wing it.
Making your own protein bars not only makes them more appealing but you can customize to your tastes and health standards.
First things first, credit where it is due…….the original Upscale GORP Bars.
I made changes, as I mentioned on account I didn’t have some of the ingredients.
I made a double batch the second 1 1/2 cup was salted peanuts
¾ cup (175 mL) chopped cashews
½ cup (125 mL) organic puffed rice cereal
¾ cup (175 mL) dried cranberries
¼ cup (60 mL) unsweetened coconut flakes
¼ cup (60 mL) dark chocolate chips
omitted salt due to salted peanuts used
½ cup (125 mL) agave
¼ cup (60 mL) honey
2. Combine almonds, cashews, quinoa, cranberries, coconut, chocolate chips and salt in a heatproof bowl and stir to combine.
3. Combine agave and honey in a small pot over medium heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until the temperature on a candy thermometer reads 260°F (127°C). (I don’t have one and guess-timated) Immediately scrape syrup into nut mixture and stir to coat. Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Place pan in the oven for 10 minutes, then stir again to ensure that all ingredients are evenly coated in syrup. Let cool slightly, then use your fingers to pack nut mixture into an even layer.
4. Let stand for 10 minutes to cool until just slightly warm. Use parchment paper to pull solid bar out of pan, and cut into bars. Let cool fully, then wrap individual bars and store in a sealed bag or container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
1 tbsp (15 mL) coconut oil
¾ cup (175 mL) mish mash of almond butter, sunflower seed butter and peanut butter -all organic
¼ cup (60 mL) ground almonds
¼ cup (60 mL) Chocolate NUTIRMEAL
¼ tsp (1 mL) kosher salt
1½ cups organic puffed rice cereal
⅔ cup (150 mL) dark chocolate chips, melted
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped cashews
1. Line a 9-inch (23-cm) square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
3. Scrape nut butter mixture into a bowl, add ground almonds, protein powder and salt, and stir until incorporated. Add puffed brown rice and stir until well coated. Pack mixture into prepared pan and chill for 30 minutes or until firm. Remove from fridge.
4. Use parchment paper to pull solid bar mixture from pan. Melt chocolate chips. Drizzle chocolate over chilled bar mixture and spread into an even thin layer. Sprinkle with chopped cashews. Chill 30 minutes then cut into 16 bars. Wrap bars individually and store in a sealed bag or box in the fridge for up to 1 month.
*again, I made a double batch. These can be cut and stored in an air tight container stored in the freezer. Storing them in the freezer makes them just a little less accessible.